- 1 large
- yellow onion
- 4 oz
- carrot matchsticks
- ribs celery
- sweet red pepper
- 1/4 bunch
- fresh cilantro (leaves only)
- 1/2 lb
- baby portebello mushrooms
- 6 c
- chicken broth
- 1/2 c
- 4 c
- 1 c
- shredded cooked chicken (optional)
How to Make MUSHROOM-BARLEY SOUP (SALLYE)
- 1Peel onion and cut into quarters
Cut celery ribs into 2" long pieces
Remove veins and seeds from pepper cut into quarters
Remove stems from cilantro, retain only leaves
Place all these items in food processor and pulse until finely diced
- 2Cut mushrooms, stems and all, into thin slices
- 3Place all ingredients except shredded chicken into large heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
Once soup begins to boil, lower heat until mixture is gently simmering.
Add salt & pepper to taste.
Add shredded chicken (optional)
Simmer partly covered for about 45 minutes or until barley is tender.
Stir regularly to keep from sticking adding water if necessary
- 4Store leftovers in fridge. It is even better the next day.
Good served with cornbread or flat bread