Daily Inspiration S10
- 2 1/2 lb
- swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp
- olive oil
- 1/2 lb
- 1 Tbsp
- garlic chopped
- 16-oz. can cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
- 16-oz. can whole tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 - 1 c
- reserved cooking liquid
- 2 lb
- potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1/4 tsp
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 oz
- cheese of your choice such as gruyere
- add additional liquid (or chicken broth) as needed (according to your preference)
How to Make Minestra
- 1Combine swiss chard and 1/4 cup water in a large dutch oven; tightly packed leaves and cover. Cook over medium heat until volume is reduced by half. Drain in colander, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- 2Heat oil over medium high heat and brown sausage - turning frequently - about 4 minutes or until browned. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in beans and tomatoes with juice, breaking up the tomatoes. Bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes.
- 3Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in swiss chard with reserved cooking liquid (add additional cooking liquid if needed),potatoes, and red pepper. Cover and cook 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Sir cheese into minestra; remove from heat and let stand until cheese is partially melted, about 5 minutes. Ladle into bowls.