Hearty Spinach and Chickpea Soup
Very healthy and oh so tasty!
- 1 c
- uncooked brown rice
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 medium
- onion, finely chopped
- 2 c
- garlic, minced
- 8 oz
- fresh shiitake mushrooms (about 4 cups), stems removed, thinly sliced
- 6 c
- store-bought low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp
- dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 can(s)
- chickpeas(15-ounce), drained and rinsed
- bags baby spinach leaves(5-ounce bags)
- coarse salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 c
- freshly ground parmesan cheese
How to Make Hearty Spinach and Chickpea Soup
- 1In a large saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Stir in brown rice and return to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, in a large saucepan or Dutch-oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Add broth and rosemary; bring to a boil. Cover, and remove from heat.
- 3Check rice after 30 minutes; if it is not yet tender, cover and continue cooking, up to 10 more minutes. Stir cooked rice and chickpeas into broth; return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and continue cooking for 5 more minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- 4Stir in spinach; cook, uncovered, until just wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cheese; serve immediately.