1 largeham bone with some of the meat still attached. the bone from a smoked pork butt (picnic ham) is particularly good for this purpose.
1 or 2 mediumonions, chopped
2 or 3 mediumcarrots, scrubbed and sliced
6 to 12whole peppercorns
2 or 3 mediumnew potatoes, grated
12 smallbaby potatoes or an equivalent amount of quartered larger potatoes
1 lbdried split peas, rinsed and picked clean
1 tspsalt or to taste
How to Make Ham, Pea and Potato Soup
- After rinsing the split peas, cover with water and let soak. The is most easily done with the peas in a colander set in a large bowl of water.
- Put the ham bone, onions, carrots, and whole peppercorns in a large stock pot. Cover all with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for approximately 1 hour.
- Remove the bone from the pot. Grate the potatoes while the bone is cooling. Put both types of potatoes in the pot.
- Drain the split peas and add them to the pot. Simmer until both the potatoes and the peas are soft.
- Meanwhile, cut any ham off the bone and add it to the soup while it continues to simmer. Discard the bone and any fat or cartilage.
- When the peas and whole potatoes are soft, blend some of the soup to thicken. Try not to catch any of the whole potatoes in the blender.
- Taste and add salt as needed. Serve hot. Great with crumbled rich crackers (e.g. Ritz or Townhouse) crumbled on top.