Grandma's Broccoli & Cheese Soup
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 1/2 c
- thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 Tbsp
- sliced garlic
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- cayenne pepper
- 5 c
- chicken stock or canned, low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 c
- broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 c
- (6 ounces) shredded medium sharp cheddar cheese
- simple croutons, for garnish (optional)
How to Make Grandma's Broccoli & Cheese Soup
- 1Heat the olive oil in a 6-quart stockpot over medium heat. When it is hot, add the onions, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper. Saute until the onions are soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 2Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Once the stock is boiling, add the broccoli and cook until fork-tender, about 5 minutes.
- 3Remove the soup from the heat and let it cool slightly. Then puree the soup, in batches, in a blender, adding the cheese in three additions while blending. Adjust the seasoning if necessary, garnish with croutons if desired, and serve hot.
- 4Please use caution when blending hot liquids; blend only small amounts at a time, with the blender tightly covered and a kitchen towel held over the top