Grandma's Borscht (Beet Soup)
The photo is not mine, but is a close representation as to what the soup will look like when finished. Usually not as creamy. Another note is that this soup is delicious hot or cold!!
6 - 8 largered beets
1/2 lbfresh pork neck bones or fresh pork ( i prefer the bones)
1 largeonion quartered
1 largebay leaf
4 - 5 sprig(s)fresh parsley minced
1 stalk(s)celery - whole
2 - 3 qtwater
Tbspcider vinegar - to taste - 1 tbsp at a time for tartness ( i usually use 2-3 tbsp)
1/2 ptsour cream
How to Make Grandma's Borscht (Beet Soup)
- Peel and cut your beets into thin shoe strings.
Add onion, bay leaf, pork neck bones, parsley, salt, celery stalk and beets into a stock pot with water.
Simmer until beets are tender.
- Remove Stalk of Celery and bay leaf.
Add cider vinegar a tablespoon at a time to the soup.
VERY IMPORTANT! BE A TASTER!
You need to taste the liquid for the tartness that you prefer, so be sure to only add a Tbsp at a time.
- In a bowl mix the sour cream, flour and egg. Beat together. Add a little of the hot soup to this mixture (about 1 cup) adding it little at a time and beat well each time. You do not want to curdle the mix.
- Turn heat down under the soup low enough as to no longer be boil at all.
Add the cream mix in the bowl to the pot of soup VERY SLOWLY. BE CAREFUL that it DOES NOT boil and that you do not add it too quickly or else the mixture from the bowl will curdle.
- Serve hot garnished with a fresh sprig of curled parsley on top.