- smoked ham shank
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- large onions, chopped
- leeks, diced
- white turnip, peeled and diced
- rutabaga, peeled and diced
- stalks of celery, chopped
- large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 c
- split peas, washed and drained
- 14 oz
- can chopped tomatoes
- 4 c
- vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
How to Make Fall Vegetable soup
- 1Heat the oil in an extra large pot.
Add the onions and cook until opaque.
- 2Add leeks and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- 3Add the turnip, rutabaga, celery, carrots, then cook, stirring for about 5 more minutes.
- 4Stir in the split peas, tomatoes, vegetable stock, and parsley.
- 5Bring to a boil.
Once the soup is boiling, turn it off, and carefully pour it into a large slow cooker. Add the ham shank.
- 6Cook on low for 6-9 hours until the veggies are tender.
- 7Remove the ham shank from the cooker and let it cool a bit. Pull the meat off carefully and return it to the cooker...Be careful because this stays hot a long time!
- 8add salt and pepper to taste!