★★★★★ 1 vote5
1smoked ham shank
2 Tbspolive oil
2large onions, chopped
1white turnip, peeled and diced
1rutabaga, peeled and diced
2stalks of celery, chopped
2large carrots, peeled and sliced
1 csplit peas, washed and drained
14 ozcan chopped tomatoes
4 cvegetable broth
·salt and pepper
How to Make Fall Vegetable soup
- Heat the oil in an extra large pot.
Add the onions and cook until opaque.
- Add leeks and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the turnip, rutabaga, celery, carrots, then cook, stirring for about 5 more minutes.
- Stir in the split peas, tomatoes, vegetable stock, and parsley.
- Bring to a boil.
Once the soup is boiling, turn it off, and carefully pour it into a large slow cooker. Add the ham shank.
- Cook on low for 6-9 hours until the veggies are tender.
- Remove the ham shank from the cooker and let it cool a bit. Pull the meat off carefully and return it to the cooker...Be careful because this stays hot a long time!
- add salt and pepper to taste!