Elaine's Butternut Squash or Sweet Potato Soup
4 cbutternut squash and/or sweet potatoes cubed
2 Tbspolive oil
1 or more clovegarlic
Fewgrinds of pepper
6-8 cor more chicken broth
·cream or sour cream garnish (optional)
How to Make Elaine's Butternut Squash or Sweet Potato Soup
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spread squash and/or sweet potato cubes, onion and garlic clove(s) on an oiled baking sheet. Sprinkle with 1 tsp salt and pepper. Make sure all vegetables are coated in oil. Bake for about 30 minutes, stirring them around every 10 minutes so they cook evenly and brown a bit.
- Take out of the oven when they are soft. Let them cool a bit.
- Put the slightly cooled vegetables in a pot of simmering chicken broth. Add any herbs or seasonings that you like. Allow to simmer together for about 10 minutes. Blend with a stick blender until smooth. Taste for seasoning. Add more chicken broth or water if you like it thinner.
- Serve immediately or cool and refrigerate. You can freeze any leftovers. I usually prepare extra so that I can freeze some in one-serving containers for future meals.
- Garnish soup with a tablespoon or two of cream or sour cream when you serve it.