Dutch Split Pea soup- Aruban style
It takes a long time to cook, but it is so worth it. My husband, who is not a fan of your usual garden variety pea soups, just loves this!
2 tablespoolive oil
2-3stalks of celery with the leaves diced
1 cupdiced carrot (about 2 carrots)
2 clovesgarlic minced
2 cgreen split peas (one pound bag)
3-4bay leaves, dried
11-2 lb smoked butt or ham hocks or ham bone. do not used a ham that was infused with honey or brown sugar.
1 pkgsmoked turkey sausage (low fat) sliced into medallions
How to Make Dutch Split Pea soup- Aruban style
- Add olive oil to large soup pot. Sautee onion, carrots, garlic and celery until celery tender about 5 minutes
- Add water,bay leaf, Smoked butt and peas
- Simmer covered for 3 hours. Stirring occasionally
- Take out smoked butt and remove fatty areas, cut into pieces, or just pull apart and return to pot. Add Turkey Sausage and continue cooking uncovered for 1-2 hours. Continue stirring occasionally.
- Serve with a crusty bread for a satisfying dinner.