Dutch Split Pea soup- Aruban style
It takes a long time to cook, but it is so worth it. My husband, who is not a fan of your usual garden variety pea soups, just loves this!
- 2 tablespo
- olive oil
- onions, diced
- stalks of celery with the leaves diced
- 1 cup
- diced carrot (about 2 carrots)
- 2 cloves
- garlic minced
- 12 c
- 2 c
- green split peas (one pound bag)
- bay leaves, dried
- 1-2 lb smoked butt or ham hocks or ham bone. do not used a ham that was infused with honey or brown sugar.
- 1 pkg
- smoked turkey sausage (low fat) sliced into medallions
How to Make Dutch Split Pea soup- Aruban style
- 1Add olive oil to large soup pot. Sautee onion, carrots, garlic and celery until celery tender about 5 minutes
- 2Add water,bay leaf, Smoked butt and peas
- 3Simmer covered for 3 hours. Stirring occasionally
- 4Take out smoked butt and remove fatty areas, cut into pieces, or just pull apart and return to pot. Add Turkey Sausage and continue cooking uncovered for 1-2 hours. Continue stirring occasionally.
- 5Serve with a crusty bread for a satisfying dinner.