Creamy Roasted Winter Vegetable Soup or Chowder
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 3 small
- potatoes (i used russet) peeled and cut into chunks
- sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 small
- head of cauliflower, cut into chunks
- head of broccoli, cut into chunks
- leeks, white part only, rinsed well and sliced
- medium onion, cut into chunks
- 3 large
- garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large
- carrot, cut into chunks
- stalk celery, cut inot chunks
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 tsp
- dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp
- dried sage
- 1/2 tsp
- coriander powder
- large pinch kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 to 2 qt
- vegetable broth
- 1/2 c
- dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 c
- 1 c
- defrosted frozen corn
How to Make Creamy Roasted Winter Vegetable Soup or Chowder
- 11. Put all vegetables in a large roasting pan and toss with olive oil, herbs and spices.
- 2Pour in 1 cup veg. broth and 1/2 cup wine
- 3Roast at 400 degrees stirring occasionally until vegetables are fork tender and slightly brown. (40 minutes to 1 hour)
- 4In a large dutch oven or soup pot heat 2 tbls butter.
Add roasted vegetables making sure to get all of the good juices and scrapings from the bottom of the roasting pan. Next add the remainder of 1 qt of vegetable broth bring to a simmer, then puree with an immersion blender or in small batches in a blender. If it seems too thick thin down with more broth.
- 5Add one cup milk and one cup of defrosted corn and heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
At this point if you like hot sauce ( we use tabasco) add to taste. Sometimes I add a little curry powder at this point instead of tabasco. Either hot sauce or curry could be added to the bowls of those eating the soup.