Creamy Beet Soup
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 1/2 c
- chopped onions
- 1 c
- peeled and chopped potato, uncooked
- 1 clove
- garlic, minced
- 2 can(s)
- (14 oz. each) sliced beets, undrained
- 3 c
- chicken broth, low salt
- 1 tsp
- dried dill weed, crushed
- 1/4 tsp
- ground black pepper
- dairy sour cream for garnish; also a dash of all spice ,if desired
How to Make Creamy Beet Soup
- 1Heat butter in a 4 quart saucepan with heavy bottom over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they are tender-crisp. Add the potato and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- 2Drain the liquid from the beets and reserve 1 cup beet juice.(save remainder of beet juice for another day, perhaps when you make vegetable soup-just freeze it). Stir the beets and broth in the saucepan and heat to a boil.
you can add 1/2 head of shredded cabbage and 2 diced carrots and 1 cup tomato puree, now if you like.
Reduce the heat to low; simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until the potato is tender.
- 3Place 1/2 the broth mixture into a blender or food processor. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour into a medium bowl.
Repeat with remaining mixture.
Return all of the broth mixture to the saucepan. Stir in the reserved cup of beet juice, dill and pepper. Cook over medium heat until mixture is hot. Serve with sour cream, crispy crumbled bacon and a sprinkle of all spice, if desired.