Cream of Squash & Sweet 'Tater Soup
You'll need some way to puree the cooked veggies, I use a food processor.
Use veggie stock for vegan option.
- med. butternut squash
- med. sweet potatoes, use the deep orange flesh ones for best color
- lg. onion, chopped
- 1-2 clove
- garlic, very finely minced
- apples, peeled, cored and chopped, optional
- 1 can(s)
- coconut milk (13.66 oz./403 ml)
- 1 pt
- stock, chicken or veg.-your choice
- 1/4-1/2 tsp
- white pepper or to taste
- 1/2 tsp
- ground cumin or to taste
- grated parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley, fresh or dried
- olive oil
How to Make Cream of Squash & Sweet 'Tater Soup
- 1Slice squash in half, remove seeds and as much of the stringy fibers that remove easily. Don't worry about cleaning it out completely. Microwave, steam or bake squash and sweet potatoes until just done. Allow to cool. Scrape out cooked squash and sweet potato flesh. I use melon baller for this, the sweet potatoes may peel also easily. Puree the squash and sweet potatoes together using the coconut milk for processing, you may have to do it in batches. Set aside.
- 2In large stockpot, cook chopped onion in a little olive oil over med. low heat until translucent, don't let brown. Add garlic and chopped apples, cook a minute or two longer. Add half of the stock, cook until apples are soft. Puree until smooth. Be careful it's hot, you might want to let it cool a bit.
- 3Place all purees in stockpot. Add remaining stock, stir over low heat until completely blended and warmed through. Add cumin, white pepper, and salt to taste. Keep over low heat, just below simmer, for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with a nice scattering of chopped parsley on the top finished with a generous sprinkling of parmesan.