★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 c
- onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- butter or margarine
- 4 1/2 c
- carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 large
- potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 can(s)
- 98% fat free chicken broth or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 tsp
- ground ginger powder
- 2 c
- evaporated milk or half-and-half cream
- 1 tsp
- crushed dried rosemary
- 1 tsp
- or salt, to taste
- 1/8 tsp
- black pepper, to taste
How to Make Cream of Carrot Soup
- 11 In a large stockpot, melt butter and saute onion until soft and tender, about 5 minutes or so.
- 22 Add carrots, potatoes, chicken broth, and ginger powder.
- 33 Cover and cook on medium heat 30 minutes or until veggies are very tender.
- 44 Remove from heat and let cool 15 minutes.
- 55 Using a stick blender, puree the soup right in the pot (or pour some into a blender and puree- you'll have to do this in batches though).
- 66 Return to heat and add milk, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- 77 Cook over low heat until heated through, maybe 5 minutes or so.
You Can Substitute - 1 cup whole milk or half and half and is a great base for adding other spices (Curry, cumin, parsley, etc).
- 9You can use fresh ginger vs powdered; also, you can add 1 small clove of garlic. Using vegetable broth will make it a vegetarian soup that is very good. Add a bit of fresh parsley and garnish with a few chives.
Also you can use fat free evaporated milk and combine with little fresh cream. (Half and Half).
This recipe is so flexible to make according to what your need may be. Have fun...