Chunky Cream of Tomato Soup
- 4 Tbsp
- canola or olive oil
- 1 large
- onion, diced
- ribs celery, sliced fairly thin
- 1 tsp
- ground cloves
- 2 can(s)
- (28 oz) diced tomatoes (drain but reserve juice)
- 1 c
- 1 c
- 1 c
- half and half (or coffee cream)
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
How to Make Chunky Cream of Tomato Soup
- 1In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and celery and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until just softened.
- 2Stir in the tomato paste, ground cloves and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the water and the tomatoes and their juices and bring to a boil. Simmer the soup over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced by one-third, about 30 minutes.
- 3Transfer half of the soup to a blender or food processor bowl, cool in fridge for 10-15 minutes and then puree until smooth. (Sometimes I find the tomato mixture a bit looser than I want - if this happens, I just mix a tablespoon of of Robin Hood Easy Mix flour in a bit of water and stir in.)
Return the puree to the pot, add milk and half & half and heat to desired temperature for serving.
Note: If you are watching fat you can use 2 cups milk instead of a cup of cream.