Brussels Sprouts Soup
Another advantage? This soups adds a green-and-leafy veggie serving to your daily count and is high in vitamin C.
- 2 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 1 large
- sweet onion, peeled and julienned
- 5 clove
- garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp
- brown sugar
- 1 tsp
- dried fines herbes or other herb mixture, preferably with tarragon as one of the ingredients
- 1 lb
- brussels sprouts, stem trimmed, yellow or spotted leaves removed, washed and quartered
- 4 c
- low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp
- white pepper
- 1 c
- greek-style yogurt (optional)
How to Make Brussels Sprouts Soup
- 1In a heavy, covered, sauce pan, melt the butter on medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and stir to coat. Sweat for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally until translucent.
- 2Uncover, stir in the brown sugar and continue to cook for 10 minutes to coat and lightly carmelize the onions and garlic.
- 3Add the quartered brussels sprouts and the fines herbes and stir. Add the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- 4Take off the heat. Process with an immersion blender or cool and process in a standard blender until smooth. Add the white pepper and bring back to a simmer briefly. Turn off. Allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- 5Serve warm, optionally with a dollop of yogurt on top.