Basic Veggie Soup w/ Add-ins
I have to admit, we leave the cabbage out of this recipe. We re-heat it so much & I am not a fan of soggy cabbage, I like it cooked just a little. But some day I should try it. The cabbage might just cook up & dissolve & add extra vitamins to the soup!
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 can(s)
- diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 c
- chicken broth
- 2 c
- fresh green beans, cut in 1
- stalks celery, sliced
- carrots, sliced
- 1 large
- onion, chopped
- 4 clove
- garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 small
- medium turnip, chopped
- head cabbage, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- various add-ins of your choice
How to Make Basic Veggie Soup w/ Add-ins
- 1In a large soup pot, heat one T. Olive oil over medium heat. Add onion & cook until translucent, now add garlic. Don't brown the garlic, but saute for a few minutes. Add carrots & celery, green beans, turnip, & cabbage, sauteing a minute or two. This infuses great flavor into the soup! Use the extra T. Olive oil in this step if needed. Add the Thyme, salt, & pepper while sauteing.
- 2Choose cooking method. If using a crockpot, transfer ingredients to pot now & add tomatoes, broth & potatoes. If cooking on stove top, leave ingredients in soup pot & add tomatoes, broth & potatoes. Simmer the soup on low for a few hours on the stove, or in crockpot on low for 6 hours.
- 3Before serving, mash some of the potato chunks against the side of the pot to thicken soup. Stir & serve.
- 4Basic Veggie Soup Add ins:
Now comes the fun part! Make your soup an entire meal if you want! Store the soup in the fridge. Take just enough soup out for the meal you are serving. (Leave the rest in the fridge & try a different add in another day!) Choose add ins for that meal.
Tex Mex: Add chicken, corn, black beans, cumin & chopped cilantro. Serve with chips & cheese
Tuscan: Add white beans, Italian seasoning, chopped spinach or kale, & chicken or turkey. Serve with Romano or Parmesan cheese
Minestrone: Add chicken, cooked pasta, dried basil & fresh grated Parmesan.
Turkey or chicken & rice with Parmesan cheese
Turkey or chicken with cheese tortellini.