Bacon and Tomato Soup
a couple of notes-
A special touch is a light sprinkling of nutmeg.
A slightly different taste will come through substituting yogurt or sour cream for the heavey sweet cream
1 mediumonion, chopped
2 slicebacon (turkey bacon if desired)
2 lbtomatos, peeled,seeded,chopped
1 tspfresh thyme,or 1/4 tsp of dried
4 cchicken broth, low salt
·salt and pepper to taste (if desired)
1/2 cheavy cream,yogurt or sour cream
pinchfreshly grated nutmeg
How to Make Bacon and Tomato Soup
- Peel the tomatoes by placing them in boiling hot water for about 10 or 20 seconds,remove and let cold water run over them for a moment or so.Slip the skins free.Cut tomatoes in half and gently squeeze out the seeds.A stream of water will help wash away the seeds Chop tomatoes and set aside
- Chop onion and bacon into small pieces and saute in butter in a medium (3qt) saucepan until the onion is soft and bacon cooked
- Add Tomatoes ,thyme,and bay leaves to the saucepan.Saute'for 6 minutes.
- Add broth,salt and pepper (if desired) Bring to a boil then turn the heat to low, Simmer for 20 minutes
- Remove bay leaves and put soup through food processor (or blender if you like a very smooth texture).Taste to correct seasoning.
- Serve hot or cold with a dab of heavy cream, sour cream or yogurt in each serving.Sprinkle with ground nutmeg