Asparagus veloute (velvet soup, hot or cold)
1 3/4 lbasparagus, fresh (organic)
1 1/2 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin (organic)+for drizzle
2 Tbspbutter (organic irish)
1 smallonion, small (organic chopped)
1celery rib (organic chopped)
1 sprig(s)thyme, leaves(stripped from sprig)
3 cchicken stock or vegetable stock (hot)
1/2 tspfreshly grated nutmeg
2/3 cheavy whipping cream (organic)
·lemon juice, fresh (organic) opt squeeze
How to Make Asparagus veloute (velvet soup, hot or cold)
- Sort out 12 most attractive spears, cut off the tips to use for garnish. Roughly chop the rest and set aside.
- Heat olive oil and 1/2 the butter in a large pot and add the chopped onion, chopped celery, and a seasoning of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently with wooden spoon, till vegetables begin to soften, 4-6 min. Add the chopped asparagus and the thyme, and nutmeg, and stir over high heat until asparagus is tender but stillvibrant green, 3-4 min. Pour in just enough stock (chicken or vegetable) to cover and simmer for 2 min. Remove from heat.
- Blend soup while it is still hot. Place 1/2 the vegetables in a food processor or blender using a slotted spoon, add 1 or 2 ladles of hot stock, and puree well, pour through a strainer or seive and repeat till all is complete. Discard pulp....Stir in remaining stock stirring in till well blended you will have a creamy consistency. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed, add a little lemon juice if you like, do not over season, especially if you are serving cold...
- When ready to serve add the cream, as not to scortch, just to a simmer. Meanwhile, saute the asparagus tips in the remaining butter with someseasoning in a hot frying pan or saute pan. Add a splash of water, cover the pan, and let the asparagus steam until just tender, 2-3 min.
- Pour soup into warm bowls garnish with asparagus tips. Drizzle with a little olive oil over the top and serve immediately.