Andalusian Chickpea and Spinach Soup
If you have the time, you certainly can use 1 pound dry chickpeas. But start the day before you prepare the soup, as it takes about 20 hours to soak and boil them.
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 medium
- spanish onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced
- 14 oz
- canned diced tomatoes in juice,
- 3 tsp
- sweet paprika
- salt, to taste
- 16 oz
- can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), undrained
- 1 lb
- potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 c
- dry white wine
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 c
- 1 pinch
- 1 lb
- fresh spinach leaves, stemmed and coarsely chopped
How to Make Andalusian Chickpea and Spinach Soup
- 1Heat the oil over medium heat in a heavy soup pot and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add 2 of the garlic cloves and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, paprika and a generous pinch of salt and cook, stirring often, until the tomatoes cook down to a fragrant sauce, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 2Add the chickpeas with their liquid, the potatoes, wine, more salt to taste, pepper, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- 3Stir in the remaining garlic, the saffron and the spinach and simmer another 5 minutes. Add freshly ground pepper, taste and adjust seasoning, and serve.