Yam & Leek Soup
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 Tbspred palm oil
1 mediumsweet onion, chopped
3 clovegarlic chopped fine
3 largeleeks, green bottoms removed, top white part cut in rings and cleaned
1 largegreen apple, peeled and cored
2 tspground cumin
1/4 tspfresh ground nutmeg
1 tspdried sage
4 cfiltered water
4 mediumyams, peeled and chopped into large cubes.
1 can(s)premium coconut milk
·good quality sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1 Tbspdried parsley for garnish (optional)
How to Make Yam & Leek Soup
- Saute the onions with the palm oil in a large sauce pan or soup pot over medium heat for a few minutes. Stir frequently to prevent the onions from browning or burning, just soften them.
- Add the apple, garlic and leeks to the pan and saute for approximately 5 minutes to allow everything to get soft.
- Sprinkle in the cumin, nutmeg and sage and stir in well.
- Add the water and yams. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes until the yams are soft.
- Remove the soup from the heat and slowly mix in the coconut milk and give it a good stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Puree the soup right in the pot with a stick blender, it's so easy to do it this way. Serve in a bowl and sprinkle a little parsley on top to garnish.
- Serve either hot or cold. I like it both ways. It's good the next day since it gives the seasonings a chance to permeate through the soup.