Savory Roasted Butternut Squash & Red Pepper Soup
- 3 lb
- diced butternut squash (about 1 inch)
- 1 stick
- unsalted butter
- white onion, coarsley chopped
- garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 can(s)
- fire roasted tomatoes (drained)
- 1 can(s)
- great northern or cannellini beans- drained
- 1/2 c
- sour cream
- a couple dash(es)
- allspice, worsteshire sauce, siracha
- 24-32 oz
- chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 Tbsp
- fresh black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, sage, italian seasoning, chili powder
- 1 tsp
- paprika, cumin, marjoram
- red bell peppers
- 1 bunch
- fresh basil leaves (about a handful)
COATING FOR SQUASH
ROASTED RED PEPPER PUREE
How to Make Savory Roasted Butternut Squash & Red Pepper Soup
- 1Preheat oven to 400.
Cover a large baking sheet (I used a half sheet pan) in foil. Drizzle a layer of olive oil- probably a few tbsp. Dump squash on pan.
- 2Mix seasonigs listed for the squash in a bowl and then sprinkle about half over the top.Toss with your fingers to bring up some of the oil and then add half the remainder of the seasoning and toss again. What's left will be used in a few steps.
Bake on 400 for 20 minutes.
- 3After 20 minutes have gone by, toss the squash and return to the oven for another 15 ish minutes. You want some browning on the edges but no burning. When it's done, it can hang out on the counter for a bit until you need it.
- 4While the squash is in the oven, add the butter and garlic to a large stock pot on medium heat. Let that simmer, stirring occasionally, until the garlic begins to turn golden. Then add the onion and remainder of the squash seasonings plus the allspice.
- 5Simmer the onion for a couple minutes on medium heat, then add the squash, worcestershire, beans and tomatoes. Cook on medium for a few minutes while stirring.
- 6Add 3 cups of vegetable or chicken stock (or enough to be even with the top of the vegetables). Let it come to a boil, add a squirt or two of sriracha, then reduce heat to simmer and cover for 30 minutes.
You can stir it after about 15 and lower the heat if it starts boiling vigorously.
- 7At some point when you have a minute, put the bell peppers on a pan in the oven. Roast them on 400 for about 40 minutes, rotating after 20. When they're beginning to burn on the outside (on all sides) they're done. Let them rest on a plate until they're cool enough to handle bare handed.
The skin should come off very easily, remove the seeds and throw the meat into a blender or food processor with the basil and some pepper. Puree until smooth and thats done for now.
- 8The soup can simhmer/boil until the squash starts to get very mushy. Once it is, turn off the heat and puree to your preferred consistency with an immersion blender or regular blender.
- 9Add the sour cream and stir. Add any seasonings if it needs them as well.
Now you can serve it! For dinner, I put the soup in a bowl and put some of the red pepper puree in the middle (mostly because it looked pretty) but you can also mix all of the puree right into the soup. It's really good with some crusty bread.