Russian - Wild mushroom soup with barley & potato
This mushroom soup is very filling while low calorie and low fat (if you don’t add too much butter or soured cream or crème fraîche when serving).
Taken from russianfood-ie.com/wild-mushroom-sou... and posted here for Culinary Quest.
- wild cep (bolete) mushrooms (or substitute with 18 champignons)
- 4 c
- chicken, meat or vegetable stock or water
- 1/8 c
- dry barley
- 2 medium
- 1 medium
- 1 medium
- salt, to taste
- spices: 1 bay leave, a pinch of dry dill seeds (optional)
- fresh dill or parsley herbs, finely chopped, to garnishe
- 1 Tbsp
- (soured cream, crème fraîche) or a chunk of butter per helping (all optional)
How to Make Russian - Wild mushroom soup with barley & potato
- 1Put the barley into a pot, pour some boiling water, get to boil then turn down the heat and simmer slowly.
- 2Clean the mushrooms with water and a sponge. Make sure there are no stuck leaves or pine needles or other things from the forest. Cut the root area of mushroom legs and you can also cut the coarse (low) part of the mushroom leg (usually required with older mushrooms).
- 3Cut up the mushroom into about half an inch (1.5 cm) pieces and put into the pot. Add boiling stock or water, get to boil and turn down the heat. Remove the foam with the strainer. Add the bay leave, dill seeds, salt and the drained barley and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 4Chop and fry the onion in a separate pan to the clear golden colour.
- 5Chop the potatoes and grate the carrot.
- 6Add the potatoes to the soup. Get to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes
- 7Add the carrots and onions. Get to boil and let simmer for another 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and adjust salt.
- 8Let the mushroom soup sit for couple of hours, it will enrich the flavour.
- 9Serve Russian wild mushroom soup with a spoon of sour cream or a knob of butter. Add some finely chopped herbs into every bowl of soup. Enjoy!