☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 1/2 lbyellow onions, thinly sliced
3 can(s)beef consomme
1/2 cvermouth, dry white
·salt and pepper, to taste
1 largeloaf french bread, cut into 8-10 rounds and hard toasted
1 1/2 cswiss cheese, shredded
How to Make Mom's French Onion Soup
- Cook Onions slowly in 3 T of butter and 1 T of oil for 15 mins in a 4 qt covered sauce pan.
- Uncover, and raise heat to moderate and stir in 1 t salt and 1/4 t sugar. Cook for 30 - 40 minutes stirring frequently until the onions have turned a deep, golden brown.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir for 3 minutes.
- Bring water and consommé to boil in another pot. Turn off the heat and blend the boiling liquid into the onion mixture.
- Add 1/2 c wine and salt and pepper (to taste). Simmer partially covered for 30-40 minutes or more; skimming occasionally.
- Set aside uncovered until ready to serve, then reheat to simmer.
- When ready to serve, preheat oven to 325. Bring soup to boil and pour into tureen or soup pots. Place rounds of bread on top and spread cheese over it. Sprinkle with butter.
- Bake for 20 minutes in oven, then set for a minute or two under a preheated broiler to brown the top lightly.
- Serve immediately.