My family likes it too,at home,I often add cilantro,it's really good that way.
No one seems to mind that it's vegetarian.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 3 t. butter
- 1 tablespoon.olive oil
- 1 large onion,chopped fine
- 2 medium carrots,peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery,minced
- 3-4 garlic cloves,minced
- 14 1/2 ounce can)diced tomatoes,drained
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1/4 t.dried thyme leaves,crushed
- 2 c lentils,rinsed and picked over
- **2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 8 c chicken broth,or **4 large chicken bouillon cups+ 8 c water
- 2 t. minced parsley leaves
How to Make Lentil Soup
- 1In large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt butter,add oil.
Add onion,celery and carrots; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in tomatoes, bay leaf, and thyme; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in lentils, salt, and pepper; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until vegetables are softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
Uncover, increase heat to high and bring to simmer.
Add chicken broth ; bring to boil, cover partially, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until lentils are tender but still hold their shape, 30 to 35 minutes; discard bay leaf.
Transfer 3 cups of soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Return pureed soup to pot; Stir in parsley and serve.
**If using bouillon cubes,do not add salt until tasted at the end of cooking,bouillon cubes are very salty.