Deb's Simple Potato and Bacon Soup
- 6-8 large
- yellow bodied potatoes, not baking as they will fall apart. dice into 1/2 inch squares.(be sure to wash well and keep the skins on)
- 1 lb
- bacon, cut up before cooking
- 2 cups
- diced celery, include the center and dice the leaves as well
- 1 medium
- onion diced
- 1 stick
- 2/3 cup
- 64 oz
- chicken broth
- cups of milk
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper or to taste
How to Make Deb's Simple Potato and Bacon Soup
- 1In a kettle, sauté cut up bacon until brown, don't toss all the grease. Leave at least 2 tablepsoons to sauté the veggies.
- 2Add Celery and onions to bacon and grease and stir frequently until onions are glassy but not browned.
- 3Add stick of butter cut up and then the potatoes, continue stirring frequently , don't let the potatoes brown. It takes about 15 minutes for the potatoes to cook.
- 4Add 1/4 teaspoon allspice and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, saute a few more minutes until the potatoes are just tender.
- 5Stir flour into potato mix and cook gently for about 1 minute stirring continuously. The flour should be evenly distributed throughout the potatoes.
- 6Add all the broth and continue stirring until thick. Cook about 10 more minutes
- 7Add enough milk for the consistency you like. You may not need any milk at all if you like your soup thick. I use skim.
- 8At this point you could also stir in 1 cup of medium cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan for a cheddar cheese flavor. I would use low salt broth if you are going to add cheese.