Daniel's Stewed Tomato Soup
Rose Mary Mogan
He requested it yesterday, & this is my version. I made it a bit thick with tomato soup & diced tomatoes, made a slurry using arrowroot & added a bit of Splenda to take the edge off the tomatoes, then a few herbs,& in the end instead of toasting bread & cutting it into cubes, I chose to use large salad croutons. I didn't have green onions so I used yellow. It was rich thick tasty & hearty.
- 1 stick
- butter, divided in half
- 1 bunch
- green onions chopped or large yellow onion
- 2 can(s)
- diced tomatoes (14 1/2 ounce size)
- 1 tsp
- dried basil
- 1/2-3/4 tsp
- grated nutmeg
- 3-4 pkg
- zero calorie sweetner or 2-3 tbs. sugar
- 1 can(s)
- tomato soup
- tomato cans filled with water
- 2 Tbsp
- arrowroot or corn starch
- 1/3-1/2 c
- 2 c
- toasted croutons or bread slices cut into cubes
- chopped green onion tops as desired for garnish optional
How to Make Daniel's Stewed Tomato Soup
- 1Wash Peel and chop onions into medium size pieces.
- 4If soup is not as thick as desired. Create a slurry by combining the arrowroot or cornstarch with the half cup of water, stir to blend together then slowly pour mixture into the tomato soup, and stir until thickened as desired. Add the remaining half stick of butter, and stir until butter has melted.
- 5Taste and adjust spices as needed to taste. Near the end add in the toasted bread cubes or croutons to soup.