1 Tbspolive oil
1 largewhite onion
1 Tbspground cumin
1/3 bunchfresh cilantro (leaves only)
4 cvegetable stock
1 tspground black pepper
1 tspsea salt
·cilantro sprigs to garnish
How to Make CARROT SOUP TEXAS STYLE (SALLYE)
- Peel and quarter onion and place in food procerssor
Clean celery and cut into 2" lengths add to food processor
Peel garlic clove and add to food processor.
Pulse until coarsely diced. Set aside
- Peel carrots and cut into thin slices. Set aside.
Wash cilantro and drain, cut off stems and dice leaves. Set aside.
- Place olive oil in heavy saucepan over medium high heat.
When oil starts to shimmer, add vegetables from food processor and fry gently until softened (about 5 minutes). Stir frequently with wooden spoon.
- Add cumin and cilantro; continue to fry for about a minute to release the flavors.
- Add the carrots, vegetable stock, salt and black pepper to the onion mixture and stir until well blended.
Bring to a boil and then lower heat until soup isjust simmering.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or so until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Puree the soup until smooth with a hand blender or food processor.
Return to saucepan and reheat, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro sprigs.