4 cbeef broth (use gluten free broth if you prefer)
1 lbbone-in beef shank (optional)
1 largeonion, peeled and quarted
4 largered beets, peeled and shredded (easiest to use a food processor)
2 largecarrots, peeled and chopped
2 cpotatoes, chopped into bite size chunks (optional)
1/2purple cabbage head, thinly sliced
dash(es)salt and pepper
1/4 cfresh parsley, chopped
·sour cream for garnish (leave out for dairy free)
How to Make Borscht Stew
- Bring 2 cups of the beef broth, the beef shank, and onion to boil in large pot. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Transfer meat to work surface; trim fat and chop meat; transfer to bowl and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 cups broth, beets, potatoes and carrots; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in meat and cabbage; cook until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with a dollop of sour cream and chopped parsley.