- 4 c
- beef broth (use gluten free broth if you prefer)
- 1 lb
- bone-in beef shank (optional)
- 1 large
- onion, peeled and quarted
- 4 large
- red beets, peeled and shredded (easiest to use a food processor)
- 2 large
- carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 c
- potatoes, chopped into bite size chunks (optional)
- purple cabbage head, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 c
- fresh parsley, chopped
- sour cream for garnish (leave out for dairy free)
How to Make Borscht Stew
- 1Bring 2 cups of the beef broth, the beef shank, and onion to boil in large pot. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- 2Transfer meat to work surface; trim fat and chop meat; transfer to bowl and set aside.
- 3Add remaining 2 cups broth, beets, potatoes and carrots; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- 4Stir in meat and cabbage; cook until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5Ladle soup into bowls. Top with a dollop of sour cream and chopped parsley.