Hearty Stuffed Cabbage Soup (Halupki Soup)
- 1 1/4 lb
- ground beef (85/15)
- 1 large
- onion, chopped
- 1 clove
- garlic, minced
- packets beef flavored bouillon (from a 2.82 ounce pkg)
- head cabbage, chopped
- 1 can(s)
- diced tomatoes, undrained (14.5 ounces)
- 28 ounce can tomato sauce
- container beef stock (32 ounces)
- 1 can(s)
- beef broth (14.5 ounces)
- 4 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp
- apple cider vinegar
- 2 c
- cooked brown rice (1 cup uncooked)
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Hearty Stuffed Cabbage Soup (Halupki Soup)
- 1Brown meat in a 4-5 quart Dutch oven over medium high heat. Do not drain.
- 2Add onion, garlic and bouillon. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes or until onion starts to soften.
- 3Add the cabbage. Mix well. Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring often, until cabbage wilts.
- 4Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef stock, beef broth, sugar, vinegar and rice. Mix well to combine. Cover and cook an additional 10-12 minutes to combine flavors.
- 5NOTE: Instead of using the bouillon and brown rice, sometimes I use a box of beef flavored Rice-a-Roni instead ...... (replace beef broth with water)..... add in step 4 and cook a bit longer until rice and vermicelli are cooked thru ....