Good for a cold "Garlic soup."
3 Tbspolive oil, more if needed for the onions
1 cstale french bread, cut to crouton size
2 largegarlic cloves, minced
1/2 tspcayenne pepper
5 chalf chicken, half beef broth!
2eggs, slightly beaten
1 largesweet onion
1/2 lbfontina cheese, cubed
2 Tbspfresh parsley, minced
·salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Good for a cold "Garlic soup."
- Heat the olive oil in a large deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the croutons and brown in the oil. When the croutons are almost brown, add minced garlic to pan.
- Saute the garlic and croutons approximately 3 minutes more. Remove three-quarters of the croutons and reserve.
- Add the paprika, cayenne, and onions to the pan of croutons, stir to mix.
- Add the chopped onions and cook until soft. Add stock to the croutons and onions in the pan.
- Bring the soup to a fast boil. Remove the pan from the heat; then quickly stir in the eggs, parsley, salt & pepper.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- .Arrange individual ovenproof bowls on a baking sheet and ladle the soup into the bowls. Top each serving with 3 or 4 croutons and an equal amount of the cheese. Place the baking sheet under the broiler 7 inches from the heat source and broil until the cheese melts, about 1 minute. Remove from the broiler and serve immediately.
- Let guests help themselves to the remaining crisp croutons at the table