Good for a cold "Garlic soup."
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil, more if needed for the onions
- 1 c
- stale french bread, cut to crouton size
- 2 large
- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- cayenne pepper
- 5 c
- half chicken, half beef broth!
- eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 large
- sweet onion
- 1/2 lb
- fontina cheese, cubed
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh parsley, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Good for a cold "Garlic soup."
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the croutons and brown in the oil. When the croutons are almost brown, add minced garlic to pan.
- 2Saute the garlic and croutons approximately 3 minutes more. Remove three-quarters of the croutons and reserve.
- 3Add the paprika, cayenne, and onions to the pan of croutons, stir to mix.
- 4Add the chopped onions and cook until soft. Add stock to the croutons and onions in the pan.
- 5Bring the soup to a fast boil. Remove the pan from the heat; then quickly stir in the eggs, parsley, salt & pepper.
- 6Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 7.Arrange individual ovenproof bowls on a baking sheet and ladle the soup into the bowls. Top each serving with 3 or 4 croutons and an equal amount of the cheese. Place the baking sheet under the broiler 7 inches from the heat source and broil until the cheese melts, about 1 minute. Remove from the broiler and serve immediately.
- 8Let guests help themselves to the remaining crisp croutons at the table