Cozze Alle Marinara (Mussels Marinara)
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of peeled tomatoes
- ½ cup dry white wine
- pinch of saffron threads
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs fresh mussels
- fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- cooked pasta or bruschetta, for serving
How to Make Cozze Alle Marinara (Mussels Marinara)
In a large saucepan or pasta pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and tomatoes. With a wooden spoon, break up the tomatoes and stir. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the tomatoes lose their rawness, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add the wine and season with saffron, salt and pepper. Add the red pepper and cayenne pepper, to taste depending on desired heat (if using). Increase the heat to medium-high and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add the mussels, cover and cook until they open, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 3Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve over pasta or with a side of Bruschetta for dipping in the sauce.
- 4Recipe adapted from The Institute of Culinary Education, Techniques of Italian Cooking
—Kristen Hess, Author of theartfulgourmet.com