Avgolemono Soup (lemon soup)
Here is a recipe for Avgolemono soup from a Greek cookbook that I bought from "the Greek Market" here in Winnipeg, MB
I hope everyone that tries this soup loves it as much as my family,friends and I do.
THE RECIPE SAYS TO :
FOLLOW DIRECTIONS CLOSELY TO ENSURE PERFECT RESULTS.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
·6 cups chicken stock (homemade or bought)
·1/3 cup of rice or orzo
·3 eggs separated
·1/4 tsp salt
·1/4 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
·fresh parsley chopped for garnish
·freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Avgolemono Soup (lemon soup)
- In a large saucepan, bring chicken stock to a boil.
- Add rice or orzo slowly to preserve the boil.
- Stir and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Separate the eggs and beat the whites with salt until stiff.
- Add yolks, one at a time and continue to beat with the mixer on lowest setting until blended.
- Slowly add the lemon juice continuing to beat on the lowest setting until thoroughly mixed.
- Continuing to beat add 1 cup of hot chicken stock slowly to the egg-lemon mixture.
- Pour the egg-lemon mixture into the reserved stock and heat through over low heat
- Stir constantly without simmering or boiling for a few minutes or until the soup thickens sufficiently to coat a spoon.
- Ladle into soup bowls.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and freshly ground pepper.
- Serves 6