Avgolemono Soup (lemon soup)
Here is a recipe for Avgolemono soup from a Greek cookbook that I bought from "the Greek Market" here in Winnipeg, MB
I hope everyone that tries this soup loves it as much as my family,friends and I do.
THE RECIPE SAYS TO :
FOLLOW DIRECTIONS CLOSELY TO ENSURE PERFECT RESULTS.
- 6 cups chicken stock (homemade or bought)
- 1/3 cup of rice or orzo
- 3 eggs separated
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Avgolemono Soup (lemon soup)
- 1In a large saucepan, bring chicken stock to a boil.
- 2Add rice or orzo slowly to preserve the boil.
- 3Stir and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 4Remove from heat and keep warm.
- 5Separate the eggs and beat the whites with salt until stiff.
- 6Add yolks, one at a time and continue to beat with the mixer on lowest setting until blended.
- 7Slowly add the lemon juice continuing to beat on the lowest setting until thoroughly mixed.
- 8Continuing to beat add 1 cup of hot chicken stock slowly to the egg-lemon mixture.
- 9Pour the egg-lemon mixture into the reserved stock and heat through over low heat
- 10Stir constantly without simmering or boiling for a few minutes or until the soup thickens sufficiently to coat a spoon.
- 11Ladle into soup bowls.
- 12Garnish with chopped parsley and freshly ground pepper.
- 13Serves 6