Creamy Seafood Chowder
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This is one great chowder recipe. It's super creamy and guaranteed to warm you up on a cold night. All the wonderful flavors of the fish shine through, but this doesn't taste fishy. Can't wait to make this again! The Test Kitchen
4 Tbspbutter and/or olive oil, divided
1/2 conion, diced
1/2 ccelery, diced
3 clovegarlic, minced
1 1/2 tsporegano, divided
1 lbmedium raw shrimp, cleaned
1 lbcod filets, broken into chunks
2 chot water
2 tspchicken boullion
2 chalf and half, fat free
2 cmilk, skim
2 tspOld Bay seasoning
3 mediumthin skinned potatoes (I used golden)
How to Make Creamy Seafood Chowder
- In large soup pot on medium high, saute onion, celery, garlic, and 1 teaspoon oregano in 1 tablespoon butter/oil until soft and fragrant. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Lightly brown shrimp, scallops, and cod in remaining butter/oil (as needed) in small batches. Lightly salt each batch. Pour off and reserve liquids released from meat to add to broth later. Set aside until all are done.
- Cut potatoes into chunks and pulse in food processor until coarsely shredded.
- Put potatoes in pot with reserved vegetables, hot water, bouillon, 1/2 teaspoon oregano and Old Bay Seasoning.
- Mix well and simmer until potatoes soften.
- Combine cornstarch, half and half, and milk.
- Add milk mixture to soup pot along with reserved liquids, shrimp, scallops, and cod.
- Stir and simmer until slightly thickened.