- russet potatoes diced large(oreida frozen will work nicely in a time crunch)
- 5 c
- chicken stock (organic if possible)
- scallions chopped
- bay leaf
- 1 clove
- garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp
- thyme, dried
- 1/2 stick
- 3-4 slice
- bacon fried crisp
- 1-2 c
- heavy cream
How to Make Potato Soup
- 1Pour 5 cups of chicken stock in a soup pot. Add scallions (save some for toppings). Add bay leaf,garlic, and thyme. Crumble 1/2 of the bacon and let this come to a boil. The bacon gives it a nice smokey flavor. (save some for toppings)
- 2Add the potatoes and cook until fork tender. (not mushy)
Remove bay leaf
- 3Gently stir in the butter and heavy cream. If the soup is too thick thin it down with more chicken stock, heavy cream or water until it gets to your preferred consistency. I like mine pretty thick and creamy.
- 4Top soup with bacon bits, scallions, cheese and even sour cream if desired.
- 5Secret ingredient: Sometimes if I just can't get mine to thicken up the way I like I'll add dried potato flakes by the tablespoon until it gets to the desired consistency for me. I've found this helps the soup stay thick and creamy even when heated up the next day.