Corn and Cheese Chowder
Enjoy won't you?
- 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 3 slices of bacon, cut into pieces
- 3 whole bell peppers , finely diced (red, yellow,orange)
- 5-6 ears of corn, kernels sliced off
- 1 large potatoe peeled and diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 3 cups of chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups of half and half cream
- 1 heaping cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 heaping cup grated pepper jack cheese. (i used monterey jack jalapeno cheese)
- 1/3 cup of sliced green onions
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 bread bowls hollowed out
How to Make Corn and Cheese Chowder
- 1In a large pot, melt the butter over medium high heat.
- 2Add the onions and cook for a couple of minutes. ( I cooked them for 3-4 minutes)
- 3Add the bacon and cook for another minute or so, then add the bell peppers and cook for a couple of minutes. ( I cooked them for 3-4 minutes)
Add the diced potatoes if using
- 4Finally add the corn and cook for a minute
- 5Sprinkle the flour over the top and stir to combine.
- 6Pour in the chicken stock or broth and stir well.
Allow this to thicken for 3-4 minutes
- 7Reduce heat to LOW. Stir in the half and half and then cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes or so
- 8Stir in the cheeses and green onions
- 9When the cheese is melted and the soup is hot, check the seasonings. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- 10Ladle into bread bowls (I used large soup bowls)
- 11Serve immediately and Enjoy