THREE MEAT CHILI FOR A CROWD - T's Original
3 lbground beef chuck
1 lbground pork
1 lbbreakfast sausage
2 largeonions, chopped
1 clovegarlic, minced
2-3 qtchopped tomatoes and juice
2 tspfresh ground black pepper
1 1/2 tspsalt
3 ozchili powder
1 tspbrown chipotle powder (optional, but recommended)
1/8 tspcajun seasoning (optional)
2 Tbspbrewed black coffee (optional)
2 can(s)red chili beans in chili sauce
·cooked spaghetti (optional, see note)
·sour cream for topping (optional)
·shredded cheddar cheese for topping (optional)
·chopped chives or sliced green onions for garnish (optional)
How to Make THREE MEAT CHILI FOR A CROWD - T's Original
- GATHER EQUIPMENT:
10 or 12 qt. stock pot with lid
Large long-handled spoon
Large mesh strainer
Large heat-resistant bowl
Medium heat-resistant bowl
Long-handled soup ladle
- In very large stock pot, over medium-high heat, cook the meats until no longer pink.
- (You may have to divide this step.) Drain meat and discard liquid.
- Return meat to pot and add all remaining ingredients except spaghetti.
- Bring to full boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover with lid slightly ajar and simmer for at least 2 hours, stirring every 20 minutes or so. (After 2 hours, you may keep it on low heat for several hours, if needed; make sure that it stays good and hot.) Taste for seasoning (salt & spiciness) and add extra if needed.
- NOTE: May be served over cooked spaghetti or you may add uncooked spaghetti to boiling chili (medium to medium-high heat) and cook for 10 minutes before serving (you may need to add a little extra water to the chili first).
- Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.