Grandpa Johnson's (Ward) Chili Con Carne
- 1 1/4 lb
- lean ground beef (93/100 or 90/100)
- 1 large
- yellow onion, finely chopped
- green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 can(s)
- (14.5 oz) hunt's petite diced tomatoes
- 3 c
- 1/4 tsp
- celery seed
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cayenne pepper (more if you want it spicier)
- 1 tsp
- cumin seed, crushed
- 1 small
- bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp
- chili powder
- 1/8 tsp
- dried basil, crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp
- tabasco sauce, if desired
How to Make Grandpa Johnson's (Ward) Chili Con Carne
- 1Brown meat in Dutch oven over medium high heat. Drain and put meat back into pot. Add remaining ingredients.
- 2Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, uncovered, until the sauce is as thick as desired, or about 3 hours. Add water as needed or desired.
- 3Add a few shakes of Tabasco sauce to taste, if any (be careful!).
- 4Serve with crackers, shredded cheese, chopped onions, etc. (whatever suits your fancy).