Chili Vegetarian Style
1 lbpinto beans
1-1/2red & white onions
1/2 mediumhead of garlic
2 Tbspchili powder
2 Tbspcayenne pepper
1 1/2 Tbsporegano, dried
1 tspblack pepper
dashesnatural sea salt
1 can(s)whole pieces tomatoes
1 can(s)tomato sauce
1 tspolive oil, extra virgin
How to Make Chili Vegetarian Style
- Place tortilla in small cast iron skillet to brown for 10-12 min. at 400 F. then let sit in cooling oven for completed crisping. Remove when browned. This is served as an easy to break cracker. Let ea. individual break their own while eating chili.
If you want to use it as a bowl wait until its cold then add cold shredded cheese. This method gives a melty cheesy bite in every spoonful without wasting the bottom of tortilla.
- Fill lg. pot 1/2 full w/ water and bring to a boil. Then pour 1 lb. dry pinto beans to soak for 1 hr. I cook the beans for only 5 min. at this point then Turn off the heat.
After 1 hr. or so drain the water off the beans and rinse thoroughly through a strainer. Removing all loose skins from beans.
Fill pot to 3/4 filled w/ fresh water and cooking begins on medium heat. Stir occasionally. Cook for at least 40 min. or more if necessary.
- Pour 1 tsp. olive oil into cast iron skillet. Chop 1 1/2 Red or white onions, and sautee'. During the last 5 min. of translucency add 1/2 chopped garlic clove. (so as not to burn garlic). Add all to cooked beans. Along with 1 can chopped tomatoes, 1 can tomato sauce, oregano, chili powder, blk. pepper and a dash or 3 of all natural Sea Salt, also cayenne pepper. Let simmer until time to serve.
- An alternate to crackers which are usually salty, I enjoy my Chili in my own creation- a Tortilla Crisp baked at 400 F. in small cast iron skillet for 10-12 min. then left in oven to cool while I prepare my dish. Make sure its nicely browned for crispness. You can use this as a side to hold your shredded cheese or use it as an eat-able bowl.
- To use Tortilla as a bowl in serving, Make sure tortilla has been completely cooled, & cheese is cold. This prevents soggy bottom. Serve up a delicious cheesy spoonful in every bite along with breaking off crispy tortilla shell crackers for the crunchiness that we all love when eating soups or chili. Yum Good!