5 clovegarlic peeled
10roma tomatoes cored and quartered
3 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin
1large yellow onion diced
10 cchicken stock
1dried chipolte stemmed and seeded (save the seeds)
3/4 lbtortilla strips
1/2 cchopped cilantro leaves
1avocado; peeled, seeded, and diced
3large chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
2 cheavy cream
How to Make Tortilla Soup
- Whisk together the heavy cream and buttermilk. Let stand in a warm place for 8 hours to make Crema
- Place the garlic and tomatoes in a blender and beat until smooth
- Heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the chicken and saute just until it looses the outside pink color; add the onions, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are a pale brown and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree and cook another 10 minutes, stirring often
- Pour in the chicken stock, and add in the chipotle chili, bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 20 minutes. Stir in the tortilla strips and cook 10 minutes longer, until the strips are softened. Remove and discard the chili.
- Serve with Crisp fried tortilla strips, cilantro, avocado chucks, lime wedges, and the cream and buttermilk mixture (Crema).
- Sometimes I like to add a little kick to the soup so I'll add diced jalapeno or ghost peppers, but be careful as the ghost pepper really packs a punch.