- 5 clove
- garlic peeled
- roma tomatoes cored and quartered
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- large yellow onion diced
- 10 c
- chicken stock
- dried chipolte stemmed and seeded (save the seeds)
- 3/4 lb
- tortilla strips
- 1/2 c
- chopped cilantro leaves
- avocado; peeled, seeded, and diced
- large chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
- 2 c
- heavy cream
- 1/4 c
How to Make Tortilla Soup
- 1Whisk together the heavy cream and buttermilk. Let stand in a warm place for 8 hours to make Crema
- 2Place the garlic and tomatoes in a blender and beat until smooth
- 3Heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the chicken and saute just until it looses the outside pink color; add the onions, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are a pale brown and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- 4Stir in the tomato puree and cook another 10 minutes, stirring often
- 5Pour in the chicken stock, and add in the chipotle chili, bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 20 minutes. Stir in the tortilla strips and cook 10 minutes longer, until the strips are softened. Remove and discard the chili.
- 6Serve with Crisp fried tortilla strips, cilantro, avocado chucks, lime wedges, and the cream and buttermilk mixture (Crema).
- 7Sometimes I like to add a little kick to the soup so I'll add diced jalapeno or ghost peppers, but be careful as the ghost pepper really packs a punch.