Mexican Chicken Soup W-Lime
I am a lover of mexican food,I was researching different recipes and decided to develop my own. I used some of the ideas of about four of them, then added my own touches. I wanted it simple but I also wanted to have it taste good. Try it out, I think you will like it. This would not have been possible without the help of my crew in the diner. Thank you Nancy, Crystal and MoJo. Remember, food should be tasty and fun and we hope you enjoy this dish.
- 1 1/4 cup chopped white onion or 1 1/2 cup
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 habanero pepper, we used 2 serrono peppers, seeded and minced
- 1/4 tps of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of each, yellow, red, orange anf green bell pepper
- 1 cup of canned crushed tomatoes (low sodium)
- 2 quarts of chicken stock (homemade is the best)
- 1 tsp of dried oregano (mexican if you have)
- 1/ 8 tsp of berber or 1/2 tsp of sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tsp of salt (we used salt for life 70% less sodium)
- 1 1/2 lbs of skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breasts, trimmed of excess fat, steamed and cut in half crosswise. we used chicken quarters
- 1/3 cup of lime juice
- 2 ribs of celery chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup potatoes diced
- 1/4 cup of cilantro, leaves only
- 1 cup whole kernal toasted corn
- 1 bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped for garnish
- 2 avocados, pitted & peeled, roughly chopped for garnish
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into strips and fried
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups of canola or corn oil for frying the tortillas
How to Make Mexican Chicken Soup W-Lime
- 1Heat oven to 350, Place tortillas in single layer on a baking sheet and heat in the oven for 10-12 mins. Flipping over after the first 5, (this will help dry out tortillas a bit before frying)Remove from oven, cut the tortillas into 1/4 inch wide strips.
- 2Steam chicken for about 5 mins or until fairly tender. Remove from heat, allow to cool, then debone and remove skin and any excess fat from chicken.
- 3Cut chicken crosswise into 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces, set aside..
- 4Add vegtables and spices and the chicken stock into a 3-4 quart saucepan.
- 5Cook until almost tender, then add chicken and simmer for 20-25 mins.
- 6Serve garnished with fried tortilla strips, chopped avocado and cilantro and a lime cut into quarters for garnish.