Spinach Beef Barley - Transformation Soup!
1 lbstewing beef, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 cflour for dredging the beef
1/4 tspblack pepper
1 qtbeef broth, reduced sodium if desired
1/2 tspgarlic powder
1/2 cpearl barley, uncooked
1/2 pkgfresh baby spinach
1 mediumshallot, minced and sauteed
2 Tbspcanola oil for saute'ing beef.
How to Make Spinach Beef Barley - Transformation Soup!
- These measurements are approximate as I did not write them down at the time! Shake the flour, salt, pepper and paprika to mix, in a bag or a bowl, add and toss pieces of beef to coat.
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, place two tablespoon of oil (canola is fine),add and brown meat, doing in two batches so that you don't overcrowd the pan. Remove first batch to a bowl, while browning the second batch.
- Return meat to the pot or Dutch Oven, add beef broth, and cover to simmer for about an hour and a half. Additional water may be added if you want more broth.
- The second day, I decided to cut the meat into smaller cubes, and added it back to the broth, with another cup or two of water and added the barley. Bring to a boil, simmer for about 45-50 minutes.
- At this point I stirred in the fresh spinach covered it and simmered it, and after sautéing the minced shallot, I added that to the soup and stirred and let simmer for another five minutes. Adjust seasoning if desired with salt and pepper.