Eileen's Irish Stew
- crisco shortening, not crisco oil
- salt & pepper
- beef cubes
- beef bouillon cubes
- salt, to taste (optional)
- potatoes, cut up
- carrots, cut up
- onion, diced
- celery, cut up
How to Make Eileen's Irish Stew
- 1In a cast-iron Dutch oven, heat the Crisco over MEDIUM heat.
- 2While the Crisco is heating up, stir the flour, salt, and pepper together. Dredge the beef cubes in this mixture and cook in hot oil, stirring around until the beef is browned. Turn down the heat to LOW.
- 3Cover the meat with water, COVER with a lid, and cook for about 90 minutes over LOW heat, stirring often. (I set a timer for this so I don't forget to check and stir.)
***Only add more water if it gets too low. If this happens, make sure you are cooking on LOW heat. "Low and slow is the way to go."
- 4After about 90 minutes of cooking, stir in the beef bouillon cubes and add more salt, if needed.
- 5Add the cut-up veggies and COVER. Continue cooking over LOW heat, stirring often, until the veggies are done and the soup thickens, another 60-90 minutes.
- 6Serve hot with Irish soda bread & butter and maybe a wee dram of Guinness. =^..^=