Super Simple Lentil Stew
Healthy, full of flavor and easy to put together with basic staple ingredients- this family friendly stew doesn't disappoint!
The ingredients are easy to sub or delete as you like, add more or less to taste. You can't go wrong!
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1/4 c
- olive oil
- yellow medium onion, chopped
- celery ribs, chopped
- carrots, chopped
- 1/3 to 1/2 c
- 3 qt
- 3 tsp
- beef base (sub bouillon or broth)
- 1 to 1 1/2 c
- lentils, dry
How to Make Super Simple Lentil Stew
- 1Heat oil over medium to medium high heat, then add onion, celery, and carrots. Stir often and cook until onion is translucent.
- 2Add flour to the vegetables and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- 3Combine beef broth or base with water, then slowly incorporate into vegetable mixture, stirring well to keep mixture from lumping.
- 4Rinse lentils well in water, checking for rocks or other debris. Add lentils to pot and bring to boil. Simmer on low heat for 30-45 minutes depending on the age of the lentils. Make sure to check the pot often to ensure that liquid does not cook out of the lentils. Add liquid as needed.
- 5When done, remove the pot from the heat and cover for 5-10 minutes. This helps the liquid absorb better into the lentils.
- 6Add salt and pepper to taste. Apple cider or red wine vinegar may be added to lentils for a slightly tangy flavor.