Speckled Beans 'n Greens
Janice Joy Miller
1 cdry speckled butter beans
3 ozlean pork loin
2 slicebacon (i used cherry wood smoked bacon)
1/2 bunchdandelion greens
1/2 cred onion, chopped
1/2 Tbspvegetable base
How to Make Speckled Beans 'n Greens
- Rinse the beans & put in a 1 1/2 quart soup pot, cover with water about an inch above the beans. Add the whole clove of garlic, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until tender - about 2 to 3 hours, adding water as needed. This can also be done in a slow cooker
- When beans are almost tender, chop the pork loin into small pieces and add to the soup.
- Fry the bacon, chop and add to the soup.
- Chop up the greens and onion into bite size pieces and add to the soup. Dried greens will soak up the water, so be prepared to add more water to the right consistency.
- Stir in the cumin and simmer until the beans are tender, then stir in the salt and vegetable base. Simmer another 10 minutes to marry the flavors.
- Serve with crusty sourdough bread. This dish would be good with a heady stout beer.