Lentil Vegetable Soup
Please note that the soup needs to be refrigerated overnight for the best flavor.
- 1/4 lb
- button mushrooms
- 1 large
- yellow onion
- 2 large
- 4 stalk(s)
- plum tomatoes--canned or fresh with skin removed
- 3 large
- garlic cloves
- 1 c
- red lentils
- 2 c
- green lentils
- 6 c
- vegetable stock
- 1 tsp
- each-thyme, marjoram and oregano
- bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp
- tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp
- balsamic vinegar
- 4 dash(es)
- red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbsp
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt to taste
How to Make Lentil Vegetable Soup
- 1Coarsely chop the onion, celery, carrots and tomatoes.
- 2Mince garlic and slice mushrooms.
- 3In a stock pot, saute mushrooms in olive oil for 10 minutes.
- 4Add onions, celery and carrots and saute until the onions become translucent. (about 10 mins)
- 5Add garlic and saute 3 minutes, while being careful not to brown that garlic. (this can make it bitter)
- 6Add lentils, stock and spices into the stock pot. Stir and bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce the heat and cover; simmering until lentils are tender, about 35-40 minutes.
- 8Add tomato paste and dissolve.
- 9Add tomatoes, Tabasco and balsamic vinegar. Add salt to taste and simmer for 2-4 minutes, adding more vegetable stock to thin if necessary.
- 10Cool and refrigerate overnight to meld flavors.
- 11Reheat gently and serve with a dollop of sour cream and a drizzle of good quality olive oil if you like.