Lentil Vegetable Soup
Please note that the soup needs to be refrigerated overnight for the best flavor.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1/4 lbbutton mushrooms
1 largeyellow onion
4plum tomatoes--canned or fresh with skin removed
3 largegarlic cloves
1 cred lentils
2 cgreen lentils
6 cvegetable stock
1 tspeach-thyme, marjoram and oregano
2 Tbsptomato paste
1 Tbspbalsamic vinegar
pinchred pepper flakes
3 Tbspextra virgin olive oil
·sea salt to taste
How to Make Lentil Vegetable Soup
- Coarsely chop the onion, celery, carrots and tomatoes.
- Mince garlic and slice mushrooms.
- In a stock pot, saute mushrooms in olive oil for 10 minutes.
- Add onions, celery and carrots and saute until the onions become translucent. (about 10 mins)
- Add garlic and saute 3 minutes, while being careful not to brown that garlic. (this can make it bitter)
- Add lentils, stock and spices into the stock pot. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cover; simmering until lentils are tender, about 35-40 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and dissolve.
- Add tomatoes, Tabasco and balsamic vinegar. Add salt to taste and simmer for 2-4 minutes, adding more vegetable stock to thin if necessary.
- Cool and refrigerate overnight to meld flavors.
- Reheat gently and serve with a dollop of sour cream and a drizzle of good quality olive oil if you like.