Crock Pot Split Pea Soup
1 lbdried split peas, sorted and rinsed
8 cchicken broth
1/2 conions, chopped
1/2 ccelery, chopped
1/2 cgreen pepper, chopped
1/2 ccarrots, shredded
1 Tbspparsley flakes
1/4 tsppepper, fresh ground
2 cham, diced or shredded
How to Make Crock Pot Split Pea Soup
- Use a 5-6 quart crock pot.
- Heat 6 cups of broth and 2 cups of water and the peas on high in the crock pot for 30 minutes uncovered. Turn the crock pot off, cover and let stand for at least 1 hour.
- Put 2 cups of broth, the onions, celery, green pepper and carrots into a blender or food processor and blend until almost liquefied. Stir in the parsley. Add to the peas along with the pepper and the ham bone. Cover and set on low setting and cook until the peas are tender (approximately 3-4 hours.
- Remove the ham bone and allow to cool, then with either a stick blender or a regular blender puree the soup until the consistency you desire. Trim the remaining ham off the bone, discarding any fat or gristle. Cut or tear into small pieces and combine with the 2 cups of diced or shredded ham and add back into the soup.
- Cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes or until you desire to eat.