BLACK-EYED PEAS With COUNTRY HAM
- 2 c
- dry black-eyed peas
- enough water to cover peas by 2" to soak
- 1/2 Tbsp
- olive oil or bacon grease
- 1/2 c
- chopped country ham (or smoked ham hock)
- 1/2 medium
- onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 clove
- garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 8+ c
- 2 tsp
- ham soup base (ham bouillion)
- 1/2 tsp
- salt (or to taste)
- additional black pepper (to taste)
How to Make BLACK-EYED PEAS With COUNTRY HAM
- 1The night before you want to serve the cooked peas, check through the peas and remove any stones or peas that are damaged; place peas in large bowl, cover with cold water to 2 inches over top of peas; allow to sit overnight.
- 2The next day, rinse peas thoroughly; set aside.
- 4Add pressed garlic and saute for 30 seconds; immediately add peas and enough water to cover by at least 2-3 inches; bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat to low/medium-low; simmer, covered, for 2 hours, stirring occasionally and adding water as needed.
- 5Add ham soup base and salt; continue simmering, covered, for 1 hour.
- 6Taste for seasoning and adjust as desired. Peas are ready to serve when tender and seasoned to your liking.
- 7Refrigerate leftovers.