BLACK-EYED PEAS With COUNTRY HAM
2 cdry black-eyed peas
·enough water to cover peas by 2" to soak
1/2 Tbspolive oil or bacon grease
1/2 cchopped country ham (or smoked ham hock)
1/2 mediumonion, chopped
1/2 tspfresh ground black pepper
1 clovegarlic, pressed or finely minced
2 tspham soup base (ham bouillion)
1/2 tspsalt (or to taste)
·additional black pepper (to taste)
How to Make BLACK-EYED PEAS With COUNTRY HAM
- The night before you want to serve the cooked peas, check through the peas and remove any stones or peas that are damaged; place peas in large bowl, cover with cold water to 2 inches over top of peas; allow to sit overnight.
- The next day, rinse peas thoroughly; set aside.
- Add pressed garlic and saute for 30 seconds; immediately add peas and enough water to cover by at least 2-3 inches; bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat to low/medium-low; simmer, covered, for 2 hours, stirring occasionally and adding water as needed.
- Add ham soup base and salt; continue simmering, covered, for 1 hour.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust as desired. Peas are ready to serve when tender and seasoned to your liking.
- Refrigerate leftovers.