Velvety Fresh Tomato Soup
- 2 c
- garden fresh tomatoes, diced
- 3/4 c
- celery (prefer the hearts), diced
- 1/4 c
- onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 Tbsp
- garden fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp
- garden fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2-1/2 Tbsp
- brown sugar, firmly packed (can use a sugar substitute or turbinado or sucanat sugar instead)
- 1-1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- cream cheese, softened (neufchatel cream cheese works well too)
- 3 Tbsp
- all-purpose flour
- 3 c
- half & half (you can substitute heavy cream for a richer favor, or your preferred kind of milk instead)
How to Make Velvety Fresh Tomato Soup
- 11. In a large soup pot, bring water to boil. Add tomatoes, celery, onion, oregano, basil, brown sugar (or other suggested sugar or substitute), and water. Reduce heat, cover pot with lid and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Put tomato mixture into a blender (be careful because hot soup can pop the lid off and burn you), or push through a sieve instead. When smooth, put back into soup pot and set tomato mixture aside.
- 22. In a saucepan over medium heat, add cream cheese and blend in flour until smooth. Next slowly stir in 2 cups half and half, continue to stir until milk mixture thickens.
- 33. Pour milk mixture into soup pot with tomato mixture. While soup is simmering, slowly add the remaining cup of half & half to bring tomato soup to desire consistency. As a final touch, season soup with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to preferred taste and serve tomato soup in soup bowls. Enjoy!
- 4Serving suggestions: Serve with your favorite kind of crackers, pita chips, or toasted bread points.