If you are trying to lower your carb intake, try substituting the potatoes for cauliflower. You can also change-up the flavor by using a turnip and a parsnip instead of all potato.
How to Make Spud Soup
- In a medium sized saucepan, bring to a boil the peeled, diced potatoes in 2 C water with 1 tsp salt
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes until tender
- DO NOT DRAIN.
- Mash the potatoes to roughly the size of a pea. Set aside
- In a large saucepan cook onion in butter until the onion is translucent.
- Sprinkle with flour, cook and stir 1 minute
- Gradually stir in 2 C of milk (your choice, skim, 2% and even dried milk will work)
- Stirring constantly for 5-7 minutes until simmering and thickened.
- Stir in potato and water mixture.
- Add parsley, and pepper. Serve.
- *You can lower the carbs by using cauliflower instead of potatoes. You can really change the flavor if you add a turnip and/or a parsnip with either the potatoes or cauliflower.
You can add ham and/or cheese, broccoli.
You can skip the potatoes and add cooked sausage and serve it over biscuits. My son is going to try it with corn and crab.