Sopa De Panela - Pot Luck Soup - Portugal
Since everything is always used, it could be said that a Portuguese cook might never serve the same soup twice.
- 1 ounce lean salt pork (may use 2 tbsp olive oil)
- 1 lamb chop, all visible fat removed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomatoes, medium, very ripe, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups kidney beans, cooked
- 1 potato, large, peeled, roughly chopped in 1/2- 1- inch pieces
- 4 -5 carrots, peeled, cooked, mashed
- 1⁄2 lb sausage, chouriso
- 6 cups broth (from a boiled dinner, or water, or combo)
- 1⁄4 lb green beans, fresh, trimmed, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup elbow macaroni
- 1 cup savoy cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, coarse sea salt
How to Make Sopa De Panela - Pot Luck Soup - Portugal
- 1In a large pot, add the salt pork and fry it rendering the fat from it. When the solids are crisp remove them from the pot.
- 2Add the lamb chop, browning it until lightly golden on both sides, then transfer to a dish until needed.
- 3Toss in the chopped onion and sauté until soft and translucent, then add the tomatoes, stir and cover tightly and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes until the tomato has broken down a bit.
- 4Mix in the beans, sausage link, chopped potatoes and the lamb chop, then pour in the broth, adding enough water if necessary to completely cover the ingredients by 2 inches.
- 5Cover tightly and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, for 20 minutes until the potatoes are almost done.
- 6Next, stir in the mashed carrots, green beans, and chopped cabbage. Simmer for 15 minutes more, until green beans and cabbage are tender.
- 7If needed, season with salt and pepper to taste and simmer for one more minute.
- 8Serve hot with crusty bread to dip in the broth and Enjoy!